Hanukkah has its fried sufganiyot (jelly donuts); Purim has its baked hamantaschen, or “oznay Haman” (“Haman’s ears”).
Watch our step-by-step guide to baking your own three-cornered Purim pastries, filled with Nutella in the latest video in our popular Tayim cooking series. For the ingredients, see below.
Nutella Hamantaschen recipe
1 cup butter
½ cup sugar
2 ½ + 1 tablespoon flour
Powdered sugar for cooled cookies
Plus Nutella for filling
One bar each of white and dark chocolate melted separately.
100g shelled pistachios, pulsed in food processor
Instructions for dough, assembly, and baking:
1. Preheat oven to 175 Celsius or 350 F.
2. Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix to combine.
4. Add flour and salt, and mix until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out until 4-5 mm thickness, and cut out 3 inch circles with a cookie cutter.
6. Pipe 1 teaspoon of filling into the center of each circle, and fold up the edges in a triangle shape. Pinch the edges.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges and underside are golden.
8. Let cool completely, and sprinkle with powdered sugar, or drizzle with chocolate and decorate with crushed pistachios
Executive Producer – Jonathan Baruch
Producer/Director – Haim Silberstein
Chef – Jessica Halfin
Camera – Ari Amit