One of the superstars of the famed hearty Israeli breakfast https://www.israel21c.org/13-reasons-you-should-eat-like-an-israeli/is shakshuka, a poached egg dish in spicy tomato sauce.
Want to try it at home? Watch our cooking video to see how. The recipe appears below.
Executive Producer – Jonathan Baruch
Producer/Director – Haim Silberstein
Chef – Jessica Halfin
Camera – Ari Amit
¼ cup olive oil
½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
½ green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 hot pepper (or less), finely diced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 small cans crushed tomatoes (1,200 grams)
¾ teaspoon salt
1/8th tsp. black pepper
¼ teaspoon Moroccan paprika
Heaping ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic, or fresh (2-3 cloves)
8-9 medium eggs
150 grams feta cheese, optional
Fresh cilantro and parsley for garnish
Pitas for dipping
1. Roughly chop parsley and cilantro for topping. Slice feta cheese if using.
2. Fry onion, and peppers in olive oil. Add salt.
3. Add tomatoes and season to make a sauce.
4. Turn down heat, add eggs, then cover and simmer for 17 minutes.
4. Top with feta cheese, then cover and let them melt from the residual heat.
5. Top with herbs and serve with fresh pita.