On the eve of its 72nd anniversary of modern statehood, Israel’s population stands at approximately 9,190,000 residents, according to the Central Bureau of Statistics.

This number represents nearly a 2% growth in population since last Independence Day. Over the course of the past year, some 180,000 babies were born, 32,000 immigrants arrived and 44,000 people died.

Of the 9.19 million, 74 percent (6.8 million) are Jewish, 21% (1.93 million) Arab and 5% (454 million) non-Arab Christians and others not classified by religion in the national population register.

The Central Bureau of Statistics projects that Israel’s population will reach 11 million by 2030, and 15.2 million by its centennial year in 2048.

At Israel’s founding in 1948, the population was 806,000. Today, 45 percent of the world’s Jewish population lives in Israel.

Looking at the far ends of the population spectrum, Israel has 950,000 children up to age four and 50,000 people over age 90.

The main countries from which immigrants came in the last year were Russia and Ukraine, making up more than 80% of the total altogether. The other 20% are from the United States, France, Asia and Africa. Immigrants have continued arriving even during the coronavirus pandemic.