What makes this apple cake different from all other Rosh Hashana apple cakes? Chocolate!
Click on the video to see how to bake this delicious cake with its honey-touched ganache to top it off.
Moist Chocolate Apple Cake with Coconut Cream Ganache*
3 apples, preferably green or pink lady, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup safflower oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup water
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground espresso coffee
Coconut Ganache Glaze:
1 cup room temperature coconut cream, mixed well
200 grams (7 ounces) dark chocolate
1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350F(175C).
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped apples with brown sugar and spices. Mix well and set aside.
- Line a 10-inch tube pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and water.
- Sift in dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Fold in apple mixture, and pour into pan.
- Bake 55-60 minutes.
- For ganache: Heat coconut cream in the microwave for one minute. Break chocolate up into squares and let sit in the hot cream. Stir until fully dissolved. Add honey for a shiny finish.
- Flip cake out of the pan when it is cool enough to touch.
- Let cool completely and drizzle with the coconut ganache.
*The coconut flavor isn’t detectable here and is used for parve reasons. You can also swap out the coconut cream for regular whipping cream.